Sounds strange but it can be done. This means that you will still see presence and still be able to do video, voice etc. but no longer have the option for IM. I have heard it works for Lync as well. Basically it’s a registry key setting on the PC. See below.
- Install the Communicator 2007 update package that is dated October 24, 2008. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
957707 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957707/ ) Description of the update for Communicator 2007: October 24, 2008
- Configure the DisableIM registry entry. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DisableIM, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click DisableIM, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.